Casa de Polvora Millstones in Velha Goa, India

knownetics
knownetics 44 Views
1 Min Read

During the Portuguese Era, Old Goa (also known as Velha Goa) served as the capital before it was eventually shifted to Panaji.

During those days, a gunpowder factory was established in Panelim, a suburb of Old Goa. It was built by the then Viceroy Dom Francisco da Gama. It was set up in 1630 and was used to supply gunpowder to the other Portuguese colonies of that era. Later, the factory was shut down in 1869.

The millstones recovered from the factory site have been displayed at Old Goa, near the Archaeological Museum building. According to an expert study, the Portuguese imported these millstones from Belgium.

 Read MoreAtlas Obscura – Latest Articles and Places

Share This Article
Leave a comment